This document contains "late breaking" notes for RAM Charger. It is shown at the start of install, and saved as a SimpleText document on your startup disk after install. You may download the SimpleText version of this document here, RAM Charger's full manual is here, and the installer may be downloaded here. Additions to the shiiping read me are in RED.
Version 8.1 RAM Charger is a minor update to version 8.0.1 RAM Charger. This release is required for users running MacOS 8.1 with virtual memory enabled, and those using Office 98.
IMPORTANT: By using the software, you are agreeing to be bound by the terms of the license and guarantee, found at the end of this document. Please read them carefully before installing the software.
Remember, if the installer does not work right for any reason, please follow our advice and restart the computer with extensions disabled, before installing.
If you're wondering about all those versions of RAM Charger leading up to number 8 you didn't miss them, we skipped them. Check the Change Log below for more about what's new.
More About This Mac is installed along with RAM Charger. A lite version is now included free. The Pro version is available as a separate product and offers additional information viewing options and application launching/switching controls. Select Custom (in the Easy Install pop-up menu) to install More About This Mac Pro, if you received a separate serial ID for it, or if you'd like a free two-week trial.
This Read Me document contains any late-breaking
information and a minimum of what's needed to install and get started
using RAM Charger. There are some things here which are not found in
the reference manuals. This document will be copied to your hard disk
along with the files RAM Charger Reference and More About
This Mac Pro Manual. The rest of this file is organized into the
QUICK START GUIDEhints for installing and using RAM Charger.
CHANGE LOGnotable changes made in this update of RAM Charger.
COMPATIBILITY NOTESuse of RAM Charger with specific software and configurations.
DEVELOPER NOTESusing RAM Charger with software development tools and programming tips for application developers.
SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENTby using the software you agree to these terms. Please read them carefully before using the software.
To Contact Jump Development Group
Please visit our Web site at http://www.RAMCharger.com for immediate help. The page contains extensive documents and frequently asked questions, updates, and pricing and order forms.
Technical Support: follow the support link at the Jump Web site.
Sales and Product Information: follow the sales link at the Jump Web site.
QUICK START GUIDE
Hints for Installing and Using RAM Charger
Compatibility with System Enhancements
RAM Charger has been proven to work well with all manner of other system enhancements. However, if you use one of the following extensions with RAM Charger there is a potential conflict. In most cases the solution involves making sure you have a recent version of the product, or checking its settings to verify a compatible configuration. The RAM Charger Installer will look for possible conflicts in your System and alert you if found. Please read the notes regarding any that you use, in the Compatibility Notes section of this document, in order to avoid any problems.
Products to check: "CPU Doubler," "Greg's Buttons," "Launch Pad," "Mercutio", "Power To Go," "Professional Color Toolkit," "Quad Control," "SoundMaster," "TSM Fix," "PopupFolder" (when used with "AutoDoubler"), "NowMenus," "BeHierarchic," "VirusScannerPPC," or "Virex." (details are here)
Simply double click on the Installer icon and follow the instructions. If installation does not complete successfully, try again. But first, restart your computer with all extensions disabled by holding down the Shift key as it restarts. This is a recommended preventative measure, but be sure to follow this recommendation if you have any trouble with the installer.
If you don't have a Serial ID, you can still install for a free trial period. To purchase a license (or upgrade your old copy) and get a permanent Serial ID, see the contact information above (just after the Contents).
Files Installed on Startup Disk
Installation does not make any hidden changes to your disk or alter your system files in any way. It creates eight or nine new files on your startup disk: RAM Charger and MercutioHUnlockPatch in your Extensions folder, RAM Charger General Settings and More About This Mac in your Control Panels folder, and the RAM Charger Settings application, RAM Charger Active (created during operation), More About This Mac Preferences, and RAM Charger Preferences in the Preferences folder (with a possible copy called RAM Charger Preference Backup ). The RAM Charger Documentation folder will also be copied to the disk selected for installation.
More About This Mac Pro
Our enhanced About This Macintosh window, More About This Mac, is included free with RAM Charger in a simpler version than the stand-alone product, More About This Mac Pro. The standard (or lite) version is installed with the RAM Charger Easy installation, but a trial copy of the Pro version may also be chosen from Custom install. When installing RAM Charger for the free trial period, you are asked to choose between Lite or Pro, for More About This Mac.
In response to feedback from users, the lite version included with RAM Charger is more basic and simple to use and should not add any complication to the operation of RAM Charger. The Pro version provides additional application management and view options.
If both More About This Mac, and More About This Mac Pro are installed, the Pro version will dominate and will open, when selected from the Finder's Apple menu and RAM Charger menus, unless you open More About This Mac directly from the Control Panels folder. In such a case, you may optionally de-install More About This Mac, as it is providing no service (but also doing no harm), though leaving it in place will allow it to assume control if the More About This Mac Pro demo expires.
Quiet and Unobtrusive Operation
The current RAM Charger defaults are set to be quiet and unobtrusive. Should you prefer more interaction with RAM Charger :
1. Select RAM Charger Preferences from the RAM Charger menu, or open RAM Charger Settings from your Control Panels folder and select Edit/Preferences.
2 In the Preferences window, select the "Applications" tab panel, click (to check and enable) the option labeled: "notify when first charging an application."
RAM Charger works on any Macintosh computer running System 7even the Mac Plus, SE, and Classic. (Tell your friends using older Macs. Now they can upgrade to System 7 and use current versions of many popular applications.) It is compatible with all the latest, too: Power Macs, PowerBooks, and MacOS 8. It works with any size of memory, the more you have the more it can RAM Charge. And if you use RAM Doubler or Apple's built-in virtual memory to expand your RAM with software, RAM Charger will RAM Charge that expanded memory, too.
By using the software, you are agreeing to be bound by the terms
of the Software License and Limited Warranty found at the end of this
document. Please read them carefully before using the software. To
keep the price as low as possible, each license allows the software
to be used on one computer at a time. If you would like to use the
software on more computers, please purchase additional licenses.
Notable Changes in the Updates to RAM Charger
If you are wondering about all those versions of RAM Charger leading up to number 8 you didn’t miss them, we skipped them. The skip to 8 is to show compatibility with Mac OS 8 and also indicate the substantial changes to the RAM Charger 8 PowerPC mode and the greatly modified/simplified user interface. Detailed changes from previous versions of RAM Charger (called OptiMem, before that) are too many to be listed. The new on-disk manual installed onto the destination disk gives all the details about this new version. And the similar More About This Mac Pro Manual is also copied to your disk so you can understand all the options in that product, as well.
The version 8.1 update to RAM Charger 8 provides a few small enhancements:
1) Enhancements have been made to RAM Charger to support new virtual memory services in Mac OS 8.1. This avoids some intermittent crashing after quitting some applications on PowerMacs.
2) RAM Charger has been enhanced to accomodate Word 98 (a product from The Dominant Software Vendor).
3) An addition to the General Settings, in the Application tab panel, now allows you to choose the "starting size" for new applications (smaller, or normal).
4) Better effort is made to maintain the Safety reserve for applications moving relocatable memory to Expanded space if an application's starting partition becomes too full.
5) New Export and Import in the File menu within RAM Charger Application Settings allows users to exchange/distribute settings for individual applications. For experts, the export file may be edited in Resorcerer allowing examination & modification of subtle settings for which no interface is provided.
6) Enhancements to the Wizard which attempt to inform you if you have reduced the application starting size too far, or if the application uses an excessive number of Expansion memory blocks which might slow it down and make it a candidate for setting the application to run un-RAM Charged.
7) Fix up the desktop database when RAM Charger Settings is opened so that RAM Charger General Settings in the Control Panels folder works more reliably.
8) Fix bug that could cause a crash when launching an application from a RAM Charged application (like when using our Wizard).
9) When installing a trial copy of RAM Charger 8, the installer first saves the Serial ID of any old version of RAM Charger found installed, to a file on the desktop, so you can go back to the old one if you choose.
10) Doesn't turn of Auto-adjust reserves prematurely.
11) Handle "GMT" relative dates for HFS+ files. This avoids having unique settings for the same file on HFS+ vs. non-HFS+ volumes.
12) Improved RAM Charger pull-down menu: items only disabled now during modal-dialogs, "memory info..." for apps that don't show memory in the "Get Info" window now goes directly to RAM Charger Settings, and new "Locate" item.
13) RAM Charger settings scan for checkmarks speeded up, and scrolling works better while scanning.
14) Improved "desktop picture" refresh after launching applications in OS 8.
15) New technique for creating automatic "starting size" settings for new version of an application. RAM Charger now compares the "suggested minimum" sizes of the files to determine if the new version is substantially different, in which case the old "custom size" will not be used, instead using the minimum ( if larger thatn the "custom size").
16) Fixed bug that may cause PowerMac apps to crash if all memory on your machine is used up.
17) Enhancments for MATM Pro 1.1 listed in "More About This Mac
Pro Read Me" installed on your startup disk.
The Use of RAM Charger with Specific Software and Configurations
These notes are compiled from testing done at Jump and reports from other sites using RAM Charger. These notes are provided in good faith but cannot guarantee exactly the same results on your computer (given the infinite combination of configurations possible). In other words, your mileage may vary.
SYSTEM CONFIGURATION, EXTENSIONS, AND CONTROL PANELS
Note: Control Panels and Extensions are loaded in alphabetical order (within each folder) so by simply changing their names you can change the order of loading. You might also use a third party startup/extension manager product to control the loading order.
APPLICATION PROGRAMS AND OTHER SOFTWARE
In particular, with v2.5 and later, memory which is no longer used after closing a document is not released until later, after other operations are performed. So, when Photoshop is RAM Charged, it does start out in a small partition and it grows dynamically as you open documents. But it doesn't give the memory back right away, to use in other applications, when you close a document. Now available in RAM Charger 8, is a mechanism that allows you to initiate a special request for Photoshop to release unused memory being held. Selecting the Squeeze item, available in the RAM Charger Pull-Down Menu, makes this request to the active application to release additional unused memory if possible (for example, right after you have closed a big document in Photoshop). So, you can still get big benefits from using RAM Charger with Photoshop.
By default, when RAM Charger is installed, it does not RAM Charge Photoshop, due to the limitation described and an additional complication on Macs with more than 24MB of RAM: on these Macs, Photoshop gets "greedy" with memory and you need to install Adobe's optional "Piggy Plug-ins Patch" if you want to run it RAM Charged. (Look in the notes for Photoshop in the RAM Charger Settings window for more information.)
1) There are bugs, in plug-in modules for Microsoft Word, that can cause a crash when opening a document. (Crashes can occur without being RAM Charged, but can be more frequent with the efficient memory use that RAM Charger encourages.) To avoid these crashes, remove any of the translators which are found to have such problems from the "Word Commands" folder (which is in the folder with your Word application file). In v8.0 this includes: "AutoCAD DXF.ml", "Harvard Graphics CGM.ml", and "Lotus Freelance CGM.ml". In v7.51 there was also a problem with "MultiMate.ml" which was fixed in the 8.0 version.
2) If the application uses XTND translators, but they are not accessible when the application is RAM Charged, see the following note on XTND. Also, a good alternative is to use the MacLinkPlus translator application instead, since it is very efficient with memory when RAM Charged itself.
Using RAM Charger with Software Development Tools
Programming tips for Best RAM Charging
RAM CHARGING SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT TOOLS
At Jump Development Group we enjoy running RAM Charger on our development machines because we always need to stretch them as far as we can. However, since many of the tools we use aren't as robust as most mass-market products, we check each one carefully to make sure RAM Charger doesn't tickle any of their problems/bugs. Look for the notes for the tools we have tested with in the RAM Charger Application Settings window.
PROGRAMMING SUGGESTIONS FOR IMPROVED RAM CHARGING
Following are a few suggestions for programmers who want to make their applications work as effectively as possible when RAM Charged. In general, just follow the Inside Macintosh® and other Apple® guidelines and everything should work well. In particular:
SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT
RAM Charger 8
BY USING THE SOFTWARE, YOU ARE AGREEING TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS OF THIS LICENSE AND GUARANTEE. PLEASE READ THEM CAREFULLY BEFORE USING THE SOFTWARE.
Jump Development Group grants you a non-exclusive license to run RAM Charger on one computer at a time, when installed with your product Serial Identifier (hereinafter "ID"). You may copy the distribution disk or installer program for archival backup, but you agree not to modify the software or provide it, the ID, or the written materials, to others. You may also run the software on a computer without an ID for a single trial period as provided by the software installer program. This agreement will be governed by the laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
If you are unhappy with RAM Charger during the first 30 days you own it, you may return it for a refund. Return the complete RAM Charger package and proof of purchase to the place of purchase. Please include a description of the problem, with your name, address, and phone number. Of course, you must erase any backup copies of RAM Charger. This guarantee is good through participating dealers in the USA and is only offered for the individual copy retail package. (It does not apply to license-ID-only purchases, multi-packs, site licenses, educational use, or other special offers.)
Disclaimer of warranty
Except as set forth above, Jump Development Group disclaims all warranties, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. Under no circumstances, including negligence, shall Jump be liable for any damages whatsoever, including lost profits, lost savings, or other incidental, special, or consequential damages that result from the use of or inability to use the Jump software or related documentation, even if Jump or its agents have been advised of the possibility of such damages, or for any claim by any other party. Some states do not allow the exclusion of implied warranties or the limitation of liability for damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you.
The software contains copyrighted proprietary information. In order to protect it you may not decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble, or otherwise reduce the software to a human-perceivable form. You may not modify or create derivative works based upon the product in whole or in part.
Limitation of liability
Jump Development Group's liability to you for actual damages from any cause whatsoever, and regardless of the form of the action (whether in contract, tort (including negligence), product liability or otherwise), will be limited to $50.
Copyright © 1993-1998 Jump Development Group, Inc. All rights reserved. Jump, OptiMem, RAM Charger, More About This Mac, and More About This Mac Pro are trademarks of Jump Development Group, Inc. Apple, AppleTalk, Macintosh, and ProDOS are registered trademarks and Balloon Help, Finder, QuickTime, ResEdit, Mac, and the Mac OS logo are trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc., used under license. All other trademarks are the property of their respective holders.